Tanya Johnson is a kind, thoughtful, collaborative counselor who is passionate about helping people find their personal truth. Always aware of the many elements that affect a person’s well-being, Tanya is respectful and balances the interaction of internal and existential issues, medical and physical obstacles, relationship problems, value systems, and cultural traditions. While her own journey out of religious orthodoxy has led her to secular humanism, Tanya is skilled in helping people find their unique path to whatever religious or non-religious value system works for them.
Tanya’s approach to counseling is based on the idea that you know more about your life than she does. Tanya works to assist her clients in organizing their thoughts, goals, and feelings in the direction of their choice. She has extensive experience working with people of different cultures and backgrounds, including the LGBT community, medical professionals, business owners, people with mental illness, and people questioning their religious beliefs. Counseling or consultation sessions with Tanya are cooperative and respectful. You are the expert of your life.
Tanya uses a variety of methods in counseling and always discusses options and goals with clients. Her general approach is existential or humanistic, with an emphasis on mindfulness-based cognitive therapy. She also use dialectical behavior therapy, narrative therapy, and family systems therapy elements when appropriate.
Tanya’s credentials include:
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor no. 11793 – Verify Here
- National Certified Counselor no. 320289 – Verify Here
- Distance Certified Counselor no. 5949 – Verify Here
- Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor
- Qualified Supervisor for LMHC and LMFT
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of Utah
- Master of Arts in Professional Counseling from Liberty University
- Currently pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision at Barry University
- Minority Fellowship, 2013, National Board of Certified Counselors
- Member, Chi Sigma Iota, the Counseling Academic Honors Society
- Member, American Counseling Association
- Member, Association for Humanistic Counseling
- Member, Florida Counseling Association
When she is not in the office, Tanya spends time with her dog, goes to yoga classes, plays the piano and viola, goes to the beach, and reads.
Tanya’s approach to clinical supervision is collaborative and supportive. If you are interested in learning specific techniques from her, she can guide you in that process. Her goal for my supervisees is for them to develop confidence in their own personal style of counseling.
Make an appointment today and start your path to a new perspective. Click here to schedule an appointment now.
Challenges are a part of life, overcoming them can sometimes feel like an uphill battle. Lifestyle and circumstance changes are possible with the appropriate direction and motivation. I have worked in a variety of settings dealing with a wide range of issues. Thanks to a multicultural background, I have a unique insight to understanding cultural issues that can affect certain beliefs and behaviors. I also have experience in dealing with depression, grief, trauma, anxiety, as well as substance abuse across all age groups. I work extensively in helping individuals and couples adjust or overcome life stressors. The journey towards healing can always feel challenging or even impossible at times, but with support and some direction, a lot can be achieved!
I use an eclectic approach and counseling methods in my practice. I emphasize a Cognitive Behavioral Method that challenges negative thought patterns into creating positive change. I also use Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Mindfulness based Cognitive therapy, and Gottman Methods for couples. I like to find the best approach that works with every client.
I am also bilingual (Spanish/English).
My Credentials Include:
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor no. 13970 – Verify Here
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a minor in Political Science- University of Miami 2004
- Masters in Counseling- Florida International University 2012